Image: Chris Court, William Meppem /
Styling: Justine Poole
Boasting a cauliflower crust and topped with kale, garlic and mozzarella cheese, this alternative pizza is your guilt-free way to indulge in your favourite food.
- 6 cups cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 stalks kale, trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 125 g buffalo mozzarella, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup small fresh basil leaves
1 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease two 12" round pizza pans and line with parchment paper. Working in batches, place the cauliflower in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the almond meal, 1/2 cup Parmesan, eggs and salt and pepper; mix until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough in half and press into the pans. Bake until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
2 Place the kale, oil, garlic, lemon zest and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and toss to coat. Divide the mixture between the crusts and top with the remaining Parmesan. Bake until the kale is crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Top each pizza with mozzarella and basil; serve.
Prep & cook time: 1 hour
Excerpted from Life in Balance by Donna Hay. Recipes Copyright © 2016 Donna Hay, Photography copyright © 2016 Chris Court & William Meppem. Excerpted by permission of Harper Collins Publishers. All rights reserved.