Image: Chris Court, William Meppem / Styling: Justine Poole
The classic caesar salad gets a modern upgrade with crispy kale.
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 stalks kale, trimmed
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts (about 7 oz each), trimmed
- 3 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 2 bunches baby romaine lettuce, trimmed and leaves separated
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
1 To make the dressing, place the egg yolks, garlic and mustard in a medium bowl and whisk until thick and creamy. Gradually add half the oil, whisking continu- ously until combined. Gradually add the vinegar and the remain- ing oil, whisking to thoroughly blend; set aside.
2 To make the salad, preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the kale, Parmesan and oil in a bowl; add salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Place in a single layer on baking sheets lined with parch- ment paper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the kale leaves are crisp; set aside.
3 Meanwhile, brush the chicken breasts with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Slice the chicken and place in a large bowl. Add the spinach, lettuce, Brussels sprouts and pine nuts and toss to combine. Divide among serving plates and top with the crispy kale; add the dressing to serve.
Prep & cook time: 40 minutes
Excerpted from Life in Balance by Donna Hay. Recipes Copyright © 2016 Donna Hay, Photography copyright © 2016 Chris Court & William Meppem. Excerpted by permission of Harper Collins Publishers. All rights reserved.