Image: Ryan Szulc
Red potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnip and rutabaga are peeled, sliced and sprinkled with spice in this recipe for not-your-standard fries.
- 8 medium red potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp za’atar spice blend
- Sea salt to taste
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2 Toss the sliced vegetables with the oil in a large bowl. Dust with the za’atar and salt, and spread on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges of the vegetables are crispy and golden. Serve with aioli or your favourite dip.
NOTE: Za’atar is a Middle Eastern blend of fragrant spices most often containing sumac, thyme, mar- joram, roasted sesame seeds and oregano, and sometimes salt. If the blend you purchase doesn’t contain salt, you can add it in this recipe. You can also make za’atar with 1⁄2 cup ground sumac, 1 tbsp each of dried thyme, dried marjoram and dried oregano, 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds and 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt.
Serves: 4 to 6
Excerpted from by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming. Recipes Copyright © 2017 Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming, Photography copyright © 2017 Ryan Szulc. Excerpted by permission of Penguin Books. All rights reserved.